Make a Donation   |   Contact Us   |   Print Page   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Register
Community Search
Requesting Military Service Record

To obtain your military service record, you will need to visit the National Archives Veterans Records web page. You may complete a request form online or submit one via postal mail or fax.


To request your service record by mail, download and complete form SF-180. The form along with completion instructions may be found here.

Note: If you are not the veteran or next-of-kin, you must complete form SF-180 and submit it via mail or fax. Click here for more information.


Visit the National Archives Veterans Records web page and click on “Launch the eVetRecs system" to start your request online. A separate window will appear. (Note: This online tool works best using Internet Explorer.)

STEP 1: You will be asked to read the Privacy Act of 1974 Compliance Information and Paperwork Reduction Act Public Burden Statement. Click “Continue.” You will then be asked whether you are the veteran, and/or the record type you are requesting.

STEP 2: You will be asked about branch of service, service component, officer/enlisted, and why you are requesting the service record. Choose “Personal Military Records.”

Note: The system may indicate that you must complete Form 293 or Form 149 for a discharge upgrade. At this time, please disregard. This is something OutServe-SLDN will help you complete at a later time.

STEP 3: You will be asked to submit your name, social security number, date of birth, place of birth, service number, and the approximate date you left the service. This information will be used to find your record and is optional. Not including enough information however, can result in your request being rejected.

The next page under STEP 3 will ask you the type of documents you are requesting. Choose “Undeleted Records” and in the comment section write: “requesting all documents in my military personnel file.”

The last page within STEP 3 will ask you where you want your records sent. Submit your own mailing address.

STEP 4: Verify that all the information you provided is correct. A form called “Signature Verification” will appear. You are required to physically sign the form and fax or mail it to the appropriate address. You will have 30 days to send this form. If you do not submit the form within this window, the National Archives will remove your request, and you will be required to complete the online form again.

Note: If you do not have access to a printer, the left side of the module outlines how to verify your online request in another way.

You should receive an email confirming your online submission and reminding you to send your signature verification. This email will also include a request number that you may use to track your submission.

Once you have fully submitted your request to the National Archives, including the signature verification, you should expect your records to arrive at the address you provided within 30 days. Once you have all of your documentation, please visit our discharge upgrade website to begin the discharge upgrade process.

If you have questions during any part of this process, please e-mail or call OutServe-SLDN's Legal team at 202-328-3244.

Sign In

Latest News