Make a Donation   |   Contact Us   |   Print Page   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Register
Community Search
Discharge Upgrade Process

Seek to Change Your Discharge?
Get started here.

Were you discharged from the military under “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” (DADT) or under the prior regulations regarding sexual orientation? Would you like to make changes to your discharge paperwork?

OutServe-SLDN may be able to help you challenge your discharge characterization, change your narrative reason for discharge or upgrade your re-entry code. The standard for changing discharge paperwork is high, and changes are not guaranteed. But OutServe-SLDN is prepared to help you navigate the process and achieve results.

To schedule a phone consultation with an attorney, please use the form below.

Please be aware that if you are using a government computer or server, the information you provide may be monitored.

STEP 1 – Assembling appropriate service documents

To proceed with a discharge upgrade, OutServe-SLDN will need copies of your complete service record, including your DD 214 and all forms relating to your discharge. To request your complete service record, please click here. Once you have obtained your service record, you may upload it in the Discharge Upgrade Form, e-mail it or mail it to OutServe-SLDN using the address below. Please include your name, current address, phone number and email when sending your records.  For faster service please upload it on the form.

Attn: Legal Department
PO Box 65301
Washington, DC 20035-5301

If you do not have these forms, please click here

STEP 2 – Basic Information and Military Service Information (most of this information can be found on your DD-214)

Please provide your information on the form located here.  While providing the information is optional, OutServe-SLDN recommends completing this form as thoroughly as possible to allow faster service and submission to the appropriate board for review.

If you have trouble using this form, please call 202-328-3244 or email If you'd like to speak with an attorney about an issue other than discharge upgrades use the general legal help form.

Submitting this information does not mean that OutServe-SLDN has agreed to serve as your lawyer or to give you legal advice. The information you provide will be kept confidential. OutServe-SLDN will not share your name or other identifying information without your permission.

STEP 3 – Intake

Once your request is reviewed, OutServe-SLDN will contact you within 6-8 weeks to schedule a phone appointment with an attorney.

For additional questions about these steps, filling out and/or submitting the discharge form, or obtaining your service records, please contact OutServe-SLDN’s Legal Department at 202-328-3244 and leave a message or e-mail

Sign In

Latest News